Sunday, March 29, 2020

The darkness around me felt wrong. All wrong. It warped and shifted, and a loud yet dull thudding repeated in the rhythm of a heartbeat. The rhythm entranced me and held me in place, unwilling to let me stride out of the dream. I allowed its slow, methodical heartbeat to drag me further and further down into the depths...

...and it stopped. I stood there, alone in the darkness. Its warm embrace turned cold. I tried to run, but something held me in place. I looked down to see my feet frozen to the ground, encased in brilliant ice. I screamed and fought harder, but it refused to give way.

And then a spark appeared, which grew into an ember which became a fire. The fire melted away the ice holding me in place and lit up my surroundings. I was in a forest, with tall, majestic trees reaching for the heavens. The sky was a brilliant blue, and the fire starter was a girl.

A simple girl. Her eyes were strange, but I could not place why. By all descriptions, they were blue, but there was something behind the eyes and struck me as usual. I asked the girl her name, hoping to find out more about her. Maybe I could solve this mystery that was her eyes. But she simply said she was a dream, and then she vanished, becoming a puff of smoke.

photo of bonfire

6 comments:

  1. DANG. They're no words that fully describe how much I love this. It's so poetic and epic and UHHHG. WHY ARE YOU SO GOOD AT THIS


    lol. In contributors, it lists you twice. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I know. I added my alternate account, too, so...yeah

      Delete
  2. Wow! This excerpt is so powerful and beautiful! I feel like you would be amazing if you wrote a collection of dreams or used dreams more in your writing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, this is an actual dream of Mark!? Woah

      Delete
    2. Lol Yes, this was an actual dream I had once

      Delete
    3. How on Earth do you have such cool dreams!

      Delete